Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Eyes and Cucumbers



Day in and day out I try not to kill customers, that is what I do for a living. Well, I help them get glasses, but they come out of that office in one piece because in my delusions of grandeur, I am God and I choose to let them live another day. Rarely, and I mean raaaaaarely, do I come across a simple, nice, courteous, uncomplicated patient. But I did last year, and he returned this year, as lovely as ever. He is the nicest man I have ever met. He cooks and he gardens. Who has time to do that?! So while I feel like Rappaccini's daughter inside that office, he looks like he's on vacation everyday.
Today he comes in and says he brought cucumbers and zucchini from his garden and gave it to me. Now, I haven't tasted a cucumber since my parents stopped forcing me to eat vegetables, I'm a frustrated vegetarian, who loves animals...on her plate. So as I accepted the first gift I have ever been given by a patient, I considered keeping a cucumber in the fridge to remind me that my job is appreciated. Then I got home and remembered I have to work Friday, my day off. So we cut the cucumber and ate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment